What makes your heart sing?
Joanne Holtje, an artist, from Hubbardston spoke with Anne Gilman earlier this month during Gilman’s Opening Reception at the LPL.
By Samantha Bridgman
Who are you? What makes your heart sing?
These are the questions Lunenburg resident and visual artist Anne Gilman urges others to consider. Gilman has a collection of abstract paintings and graphite drawings on display through August 2 in the Wallace Room of the Lunenburg Public Library.
Gilman, who moved to town a year ago, realized that painting makes her heart burst with song and is looking to connect with local artists and art lovers.
“Artists need inspiration from other artists. They feed off each other,” said Gilman.
Gilman hopes her exhibit engages the viewer and challenge he or she to see in new ways.
“There are some people who are afraid of abstract art, some people who just don’t like it. I encourage everyone to look at my work, but there are a few rules they should know first,” said Gilman.
Rule Number 1: Don’t try to figure it out.
“Don’t try to get it or understand it; that is a waste of time,” said Gilman.
Rule Number 2: Walk around, examine the whole room and see which pieces you like most.
Rule Number 3: Identify what you like in the paintings.
“Notice the things that draw you to it, what are the colors, shapes and lines, and most importantly, how does it make you feel?” said Gilman.
For the rest of this article, pick up a copy of The Lunenburg Ledger in stores now, or call (978) 582-8200 to subscribe today!
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - Last Week!
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 3
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 2
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 1
- Vote NO to article 2 & 3 at Special Town Meeting September 25
- Room for improvement and professionalism
- Tax exemptions for low income and seniors
- From former Library Trustees
- What if your income doesn’t increase?
- Why couldn’t you sign it?