Knights tough it out, leave Oakmont with 4-2 win
- Categorized in: Sports
By Michael J. LeClair
A win is a win, they don’t all have to be pretty. Just ask the Lunenburg boys’ soccer team.
The visiting Blue Knights dominated play through the first 40 minutes and opened a three-goal lead at intermission. In the second half however host Oakmont Regional made things interesting. In the end Lunenburg proved too strong as it left Arthur I. Hurd Memorial Field with a 4-2 win Wednesday afternoon.
With the win Lunenburg improves to 5-0-0 overall and 3-0-0 in Wachusett League “A”. The Spartans fall to 1-2-2 overall and 1-1 in Wachusett League “A”.
For the Knights and Head Coach Mike Gutzler the win may have resulted in two points but he wasn’t too thrilled with his squad’s performance.
“It’s frustrating. We were ahead 3-0 at the half but then we started getting cute during the second half,” said Gutzler. “We didn’t play our game at all in the second half. We made some foolish mental mistakes during the second half.”
Lunenburg came out like gangbusters in the opening 10 minutes, carrying possession and the run of play against the Spartans’ defensive unit.
For the rest of this article, pick up a copy of The Lunenburg Ledger in stores now, or call (978) 582-8200 to subscribe today!
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - Last Week!
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 3
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 2
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 1
- Vote NO to article 2 & 3 at Special Town Meeting September 25
- Room for improvement and professionalism
- Tax exemptions for low income and seniors
- From former Library Trustees
- What if your income doesn’t increase?
- Why couldn’t you sign it?