HVAC system ‘unreliable’, high Capital Planning priority
By Samantha Bridgman
During last week's Lunenburg School Committee meeting, the hot topic of the evening was development of the Capital Plan Budget.
Facilities Director John Londa was in attendance to present the School Department's Capital Plan to the committee.
"Mr. Londa and I sat down to adjust the plan and would welcome the committee's feedback," said Superintendent Loxi-Jo Calmes.
The Lunenburg Athletic Field ADA was removed from the capital plan in favor of other line items including ceiling replacement and wheel chair lift to the stage in Turkey Hill Middle School and upgrades to district wide technologies and Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Controls.
Prior upgrades to the district's athletic fields and venues were completed through targeted fundraising and Calmes advised that process be repeated this school year as well.
"We know sports are a value to this community but in respect to other areas, it takes lower priority status in order to fund," said Calmes.
Londa insisted that at this point, the HVAC upgrade that includes new hardware and digital mapping for the interface is absolutely necessary. The total for upgrading the three buildings is $41,400.
"The system as it is now is becoming unreliable, something we worry about as colder weather approaches,” said Londa, adding, “The upgrade will allow us to manipulate all the controls for adjusting temperature in individual rooms and to turn things off and on more efficiently."
Londa said the system upgrade would allow for identifying possible problems and quicker fixes.
For the rest of this article, pick up a copy of The Lunenburg Ledger in stores now, or call (978) 582-8200 to subscribe today!
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - Last Week!
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 3
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 2
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 1
- Vote NO to article 2 & 3 at Special Town Meeting September 25
- Room for improvement and professionalism
- Tax exemptions for low income and seniors
- From former Library Trustees
- What if your income doesn’t increase?
- Why couldn’t you sign it?