David P. Demers, 59
- Categorized in: Obituaries
David P. Demers, 59, of Lunenburg, died Sunday evening, August 19, surrounded by his four brothers, at the University Campus of the UMASS Memorial Healthcare Facility in Worcester after a long illness.
David was born in Fitchburg, on Sept. 17, 1952, a son of the late Henry P. and C. Sandra (Molter) Demers and has lived in Lunenburg for most of his life. He graduated from Lunenburg High School in 1970 and received a bachelor degree from Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Mechanical Engineering as well as a master’s degree in Fire Protection Engineering.
David served on the Lunenburg Fire Department from 1969 to 2008 acting as Deputy Chief for his last 8 years there. He was also a highly regarded fire protection consultant for a company he owned and operated called Demers Associates Inc.
He was a NFPA Fire Investigator and served on the Governor’s Task Force in Building Fire Safety, Massachusetts Board of Fire Prevention and the Applewild School Board of Trustees.
David became an Eagle Scout at a very young age and remained very active throughout his life with the Nashua Valley Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
He enjoyed boating and saltwater fishing as well as summering at the family home in Ocean Point, ME.
He leaves two sons, Devin P. Demers of Baltimore, MD and Dierk D. Demers of San Francisco, CA; four brothers, Richard Demers of Fitchburg, Donald Demers of Eliot, ME, Dana Demers of Ashburnham and Darrell Demers of Lunenburg and several aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews and nieces.
Calling hours for David were held on Wednesday, Aug. 22, from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Brandon Funeral Home, 305 Wanoosnoc Rd. in Fitchburg, followed by a service in the funeral home at 7 p.m.
In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to the Luneburg Fire and Rescue Fund, 655 Massachusetts Ave., Lunenburg, MA 01462 or the Nashua Valley Council of the Boy Scouts of America, 1980 Lunenburg Rd., Lancaster, MA 01523
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - Last Week!
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 3
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 2
- The Great Pumpkin Carver Photo Contest 2012! - WEEK 1
- Vote NO to article 2 & 3 at Special Town Meeting September 25
- Room for improvement and professionalism
- Tax exemptions for low income and seniors
- From former Library Trustees
- What if your income doesn’t increase?
- Why couldn’t you sign it?